Apple is pledging to become carbon neutral across its business, including its mostly overseas supply chain by 2030. Within the next 10 years, the tech giant will ensure every Apple device sold will have been produced with no net release of carbon into the atmosphere. The company also plans to reduce its emissions by 75% and develop carbon-removal solutions for the remaining 25% of its footprint. To learn more, read “Apple pledges to be carbon neutral by 2030.”

Key Takeaways:

  • Apple said its global corporate operations are already carbon neutral and that all of its iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple Watch devices released in the past year are made with some recycled content.
  • Apple will work to transition its manufacturing suppliers to renewable sources of electricity to power their operations. So far, 71 of its manufacturing partners in 17 countries have committed to making products using 100% renewable energy.
  • Apple is also establishing an accelerator program focused on investing in minority-owned businesses that drive positive outcomes in its supply chain and in communities that are disproportionately affected by environmental hazards.
  • “The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet—they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world,” said Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook.

Path to 100% Perspective:

Apple is joining the ranks of many other major corporations that have set carbon-neutral goals in recent years, such as Microsoft Corporation and Amazon. This initiative shows how challenging it can be for large corporations to make the transition, as they must rely on their entire supply chain across the world to buy-in and make the shift toward decarbonization and sustainability as well. With this move, other large companies may soon follow, paving the way for a 100% renewable energy future.

Photo by Pepi Stojanovski on Unsplash