Apple pledges to be carbon neutral by 2030

Apple is pledging to become carbon neutral across its business, including its mostly overseas supply chain by 2030. Within the next 10 years, the tech giant will ensure every Apple device sold will have been produced with no net release of carbon into the atmosphere. The company also plans to reduce its emissions by 75% and develop carbon-removal solutions for the remaining 25% of its footprint. Read more →

NREL study backs hydrogen for long-duration storage

At-a-Glance: A study released by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) indicates pumped hydro and compressed air energy storage will soon be cost-effective for day-long storage, while hydrogen for long-duration storage will be cost-effective by 2050 or sooner. To learn more, read this article in PV Magazine titled “NREL study backs hydrogen for long-duration storage”. Read more →

Power-to-gas proves least expensive path to net-zero

At-a-Glance: Carbon-neutral with power-to-gas is the least expensive option for U.S. utilities trying to reach 100% carbon reduction within the operations of energy grid networks over a period of 20 years, according to a new whitepaper released by Wärtsilä. To learn more, read this article on Smart Energy International titled “Power-to-gas proves least expensive path Read more →

Waste to deliver green hydrogen in California

At-a-Glance: Ways2H, a global producer of renewable hydrogen, and Ford, Bacon & Davis, a leader in energy facility engineering, procurement and construction, will design and build modular waste-to-hydrogen facilities in California in the final quarter of 2020. Other facilities throughout the country are planned in 2021 to produce renewable hydrogen fuel for customers in the Read more →

Ditching fossil fuels once and for all

At-a-Glance: Ambitious renewable energy goals are vitally important in a changing energy landscape. However, if states and utilities want to ditch fossil fuels, they must enact plausible, specific plans and policies that allow them to meet end-goal renewable targets and make the renewable transition process easier and more affordable. According to a new Wärtsilä study, Read more →